Saturday, February 25, 2012

Hollandaise

A friend of ours from Texas is currently an instructor of the culinary arts at a college in Texas. 
She recently posted a blog on Hollandaise (found here - http://culinaryinstitute.tstc.edu/2012/02/mastering-hollandaise/).

I love this sauce but the packaged and canned stuff is just not great. The great stuff has always been enjoyed homemade at our bed and breakfast stays.
One thing I really admire Chef Shavandy for is her sauces! Boy can she whip up some amazing sauces, dressing and condiments! Don't get me wrong... It seems to me anything edible she touches turns to gold. But, her sauces are magical. 
I, on the contrary, am a serial killer of the sauces. 

I think a great sauce can really bring out a dish. In some cases it is what makes the dish. A fab vanilla dressing transforms a plain spinach salad into a delight. Likewise, a great hollandaise can transform a plain breakfast muffin with egg and ham into a fine dining experience in your mouth!
So, when I came across her post with 4 fresh eggs in my basket, I was inspired!

Here is my "killer" culinary adventure...
 
Ingredients
mise en place
1) Read the blog like the Bible.

2) Assemble the troops.

3) Read directions again...

4) Attack!

 Log: 
The eggs were farm fresh organic and small at about 45-50 grams weight each where a large is about 65g. The yolks were thick and deep mustard yellow. I questioned the instructions at this point because they were supposed to get thick and custard-like but they are already like that. I will have to go on color change. 

Yolks lightened up but not to a soft yellow. They turned more like where they were supposed to start out like. Hmm... keep advancing.

The whisk and drizzle stage...
I found that the sauce was thinning out - very fluid like orange juice. 
Ended up not using whole cup of butter - maybe egg size is problem. I know egg size makes a huge difference in my chocolate chip cookie mixes. Possibly same here.
separation

End product began to separate. 
Taste is very metallic! Possibly chemical reaction of lemon juice and the metal bowl and whisk. Tangy taste as well - just like I like it but, metallic was overwhelming. Could it be a glass or ceramic bowl would be better?


For the Benedict, I used soft boiled eggs directions from the classic Betty Crocker's Cookbook.
No, I mean CLASSIC! Check out the intro!

Copyright 1969 by General Mills, Inc., Minneapolis, Minnesota


 (Reproduced under copyright exception granted in publication. I take copyright seriously. Give credit where credit is due.)

I was behooved. Ha! 
(BTW... he likes them fried sunny side down and cooks them himself!) 
The eggs turned out a little harder than I like my soft boiled to be but were ok.

As sauce on sandwich...
The combination of flavors made the sauce edible and masked the metallic flavor to a degree. 

Finished Product.
Looks like sick on my Benedict. :-( 

The sauce quickly hardened to a spread consistency during the meal. Our home temperature was 63 degrees F after all.

Tips and experience is encouraged in the comments!
Please...
...Help me stop killing sauces.

 

1 comment:

  1. Bahaha! You r brave to try....eggs Benedict is my favorite breakfast and I'm too scared to try it because of the hollandaise.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you and will read all your comments.
Please share your thoughts!