Sunday, March 17, 2013

Vases for Eggshells

I save my eggshells for my hens as a calcium supplement as well as use them in the garden as a well-needed supplement to prevent blossom end rot in a variety of produce.
 I also save used coffee grounds for the garden.

The trouble is a way of storing them temporarily after drying without having to trek out to the garden every day. Especially in the winter cold rain. Blah! The old ways have evolved.
I got tired of seeing the plastic canisters on the windowsill.



I had a few vases hanging around and don't have any fresh flowers to use them for right now and it hit me to use them for the eggshells and coffee. I have also seen these at every Goodwill store ever in case you want to buy one. Or you can order yourself some flowers :-).

The tag is made from cheap plastic mini-blind extras (when you have to cut the extra length to fit) and some scrapbook letters.




Like this better - kinda a country cottage look for eggshells and used coffee storage on the cheap and green.
Make sure your used grinds are completely dry or they will get moldy.
The crushed eggshells look like colorful confetti until I put them through the processor and out in the garden or coop.


Tags tied on with raffia.

Would love to see how you store your eggshells and coffee.




2 comments:

  1. I love the cute idea for saving eggshells. Mine are sitting in an open Tupperware container and my husband keeps wanting to dump them in the trash. Think I'll try this and see if it works better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I know how you feel! I was so exited when I thought of this - now it actually looks cute because when you have pretty colored shells and you give them a quick crunch before you drop 'em in - it looks like paper Easter confetti. Way better than my old version and it is still re-using /re-cycling a container. Yeah.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you and will read all your comments.
Please share your thoughts!