Wednesday, January 16, 2013

$5 Homemade chicken wall bin feeder

I made a feeder. I have been researching feeders that take up less space than the ridiculous traditional round ones.

PVC pipe seems popular but...
PVC was EXPENSIVE! Where do you people find PVC 4 inch for $5? Not in the Seattle area! The cost to make my own 4" PVC feeder was well over $30 not to mention the time and lack of available 4" pipe at the hardware stores. Looked at the landscape pipes - still about $20 bucks but alot of wasted pipe to cut off and time and the edges are thinner and sharper.
So, on a leisurely walk through Home Depot (yes a brand name cause that is the only place that sells culled wood around here) I found it! In my FAVORITE department - the culled wood bin! 2 pieces of 1/4 inch plywood in 24" squares - 50 cents!!!!! Add a pack of screws and hangers for a total of . . . just under $5. Yes FIVE Buckaroos!

Now, I do have a sad amount of wood glue at home to use up - I love me some wood glue!
It took me a drill bit, cordless screwdriver, handheld jigsaw, and some soda pop and circle saw (my new fave toy). Sandpaper and paint for the finishing touch and about a full day work.
But, it holds 16lbs of feed - enough for 2 weeks for 3-4 dual-purpose layers. It is low profile - only 4"deep! They can't tip it over. They can't henpeck the feed out onto the floor as easily. Most of all... I did have fun making it. I love to try to engineer wood and make it into something beautiful and functional. Well, maybe more functional for this one and less beautiful.
And who doesn't like using power tools!?!? 'C'mon!

So, if you come across some wicked cheap plywood or just are in for a DIY build, here is a plan for you.

I am no pro but I threw together some info on my build.

Stuff you will need:

sanding paper
tape measure
wood glue
1/4 inch plywood
*50 wood screws size #6 1/2"
picture hanging hardware that can hold 25lbs

Picture of the pieces:

Start assembly by attaching the sides to the back with wood-glue and screws.
Then attach the bottom.
Then the face (that un-labeled piece in the bottom corner)
Then the Front panel.
Then the lid and the hangers.

* if you can find thinner screws, that would be better than the size #6. I had to drill pilot holes and even then there was some minor splitting.


Oh... my Easter egger and her fat fluffy bird-brained face can dump ANYTHING out of ANYTHING! ALL the 3lbs of feed I put in there was ON THE FLOOR the next day! She pulled it toward the middle and OUT onto the floor! Rrrrr......

Change - I would make the bottom slanted toward the front just a little like the hopper style because some feed will remain in the back and I am a stickler for fresh feed.
And I would add slide-in wood "fins" to help keep the trouble makers from emptying it all onto the floor. I tried wire and it did not work.

I have since switched to fermented feed as an experiment for the winter and have not used the big dry food bin feeder since.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you and will read all your comments.
Please share your thoughts!