Had a great battle of the slugs and won (for the most part).
1 - eliminated the grand majority of the rock condos
2 - eliminated the vegetation between rows and in adjacent areas
3 - used omri Slug bait in spring and a light application in late summer.
A few shot from the late summer (I got a late start last year).
Yeah, moles were an issue but got them under control. Never a shortage of moles in the area. Blueberry hill got 3 varieties. I ended up having to amend the soil. Normally, the soil here is ideal for blueberries except, this area was used as a storage area for gravel and made the soil way too alkaline and rocky leaving the bushes dried out and sad. I un-planted them, dug out the top 4 inches (the pile of gravel in the front). Then, I added a 1:1 ratio of peat-moss and compost and worked it in to the remaining top 3 inches deep and about 4 foot diameter. 2013 will show us how it does.
A year in review is a little late but here we are.
For your viewing pleasure... before and afters.
the befores are going to look even worse because of really bad photo shooting and lack of editing - sory.
corner gardencan't find a before right now but I pruned the rhododendron, added 5" of mulch and planted a shrub and flowers after repairing the rock wall.
Japanese garden in front was started by some pruning and felling a ceder tree. That will be a post in it's own for 2013.
Thanks for stopping by for 2012 yard and garden update!